Independent Curators International (ICI) supports the work of curators to help create stronger art communities through experimentation, collaboration, and international engagement. Curators are arts community leaders and organizers who champion artistic practice; build essential infrastructures and institutions; and generate public engagement with art. Our collaborative programs connect curators across generations, and across social, political and cultural borders. They form an international framework for sharing knowledge and resources — promoting cultural exchange, access to art, and public awareness for the curator’s role.
Jobs & Internships
(2021) - Deadline to apply is October 29
The Programs Coordinator supports ICI’s public and educational programs within the Programs Department, advancing ICI’s mission and core values of promoting broad and inclusive access to contemporary art, experimentation, international engagement, cooperation and collaboration. The Coordinator delivers all aspects of the administration and coordination of ICI’s public and educational programs under the supervision of the Executive & Artistic Director. ICI’s public and educational programs include: ICI’s Curatorial Intensive programs in the U.S. and internationally; the Curatorial Intensive Alumni network; ICI’s Curatorial Seminar in New York and Chicago; public talks and conferences in New York City and online; professional convenings such as the Curatorial Forum; Curatorial Research Fellowships and mentorship programs.
Responsibilities include the following:
• Coordinate and administer educational, mentorship and fellowship programs, which includes organizing open calls for applications and the selection process; corresponding with applicants and selected participants; organizing course materials and resources; providing administrative assistance to program leaders, fellows, and mentors, arranging travel and accommodations for guest faculty; tracking income and expenses; updating ICI's website; and facilitating the evaluation process
• Maintain and engage a growing and dynamic network of Curatorial Intensive Alumni through post-program follow-ups, dissemination of opportunities, and tracking and communication of alumni updates
• Coordinate all ICI public programs throughout the year, in person and online, which includes coordinating and liaising with speakers, presenters, and venues; organizing online events and upholding accessibility standards (incl. ASL interpretation and captioning); working with ICI’s Communications Manager to ensure wide publicity; coordinating audience building efforts from outreach to follow-up correspondence; ensuring the documentation and archiving of each event
• Update information and content on ICI’s website
• Maintain database of contacts
• Assist in preparation of annual budgets for public and educational programs
• Oversee the hiring and supervising of department interns
● Bachelor’s degree is required; preferably in Art History, Museum Studies, or Studio Art
● A minimum of two years museum, non-profit art space, or gallery work experience
● Ability to efficiently multi-task while maintaining a keen eye to detail
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Programs, Google Apps, Handbreak (or similar) and Zoom
● Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
● Ability to collaborate and maintain successful working relationships with ICI’s small staff and external contacts
● Fluency in Spanish, including reading, writing, and speaking is preferred
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary is $42,000. Employee benefits include health insurance, retirement plan, paid vacation, paid holiday and sick time.
Full time, office hours are Monday – Friday, 10am to 6pm. Applicant should be based in New York by start date and open to working a hybrid in-office and remote schedule. Occasional evening and weekend events in New York. Occasional travel.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume by October 29 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to each applicant individually. Please do not call the office to inquire about your application status, all applications will be reviewed after the deadline and responded to accordingly. Thank you!